Tuesday, July 25, 2006

hot sunday requires cool music


A hot sunday certainly requires cool music, isn´t it?

First song is a brilliant tune from the 60s I think - written by Gordon Lightfoot. Very sad things told there and very true ones, right? "The hero would be me - But heroes often fail". I never experienced this song being THAT BIG before I listened to the current version from Johny Cash. And even more, you can directly ´learn´ that singing is something very deeply connected to the heart. Or is it just his age? No, I don´t think so. Listen and you´ll hear that Cash is rather often NOT on-beat and NOT on-tone. So it is absolutely perfect unperfect. And only things that aren´t perfect are the right ones.





Totally different but cool as well is the music from Bill Laswell, multi-producer and -musician from Illinois. His ambient tunes I like most - and his dub-versions from Bob Marley. Very ´stylish´ could be the right comment on it, laid-back and relaxed. Enjoy it.

Simulacra

On hot sundays I do like dub-grooves. I don´t own much of this music - it´s not hot in Germany very often, harharhar. But sometimes it is. And then I miss this sort of music. My solution is Internet Radio. Years ago I listened to a fantastic Radio Show in the BBC - called Blue Room and broadcasted between 5 and 9 am in the morning, I think. And there I listened to a musician I never heard before: Jolly Mukherjee. He produced a record together with a cinema-orchestre from India: amazing mix of worlds. This is really cool sound.

Bhatiyali

"Jolly has now entered the re-mix wave and the international scene. He has collaborated with Amar, Didi, Bjork and many others. Most recently, Jolly has been accompanied by the Madras Cinematic Orchestra. The moods created by this duo are at once meditative and estatic, fitting into the so-called Asian Underground or Asian Massive." (calabashmusic.com)

To come back to singing: there are some remix-versions from songs from the 70s that are quite good. One of them is Landslide, written and sung from Stevie Nicks. Now Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumkins is far from being a good singer, but he´s very dedicated to his limitations - even when he often perfomes a bit too articial, right? The Nicks-song certainly belongs to the "top 100 of best love songs ever" but I can listen to her voice only once a year. So the Pumpkins version does it.

"If you see my reflection in the snow covered hills - well maybe the landslide will bring it down". Yeah, maybe - maybe not. But that´s nice piece of poetry. And to hear about snow covered hills in this hot summer days is not too bad.

Landslide

Another BIG ONE from the past is Johnny ´Guitar´ Watson who died 10 years ago. He played everything from Blues to Jazz and back and he influenced lots of other musicians all over the world. As far as I know he intended this beautiful - hmh, don´t know how to say it in english - he intended this "singing the guitar-tone", or maybe he didn´t intend it but he at least made it to his "brand" as people would say today. Alltogether his 70s records are really relaxed and thus fitting to this playlist. And: I remember that I really often watched this CRAZY cover from his LP "a real mother for you". The backside cover isn´t less crazy - it´s him having some bunnies round him, all of them beautyful women staring proud and loving at him in his childish pose. great -but gone. But here is his tune.

There are no ladies here in this playlist yet. So here we go. Listen to the GRAND Joni Mitchell. I love her for some of her records. I am listening to the BLUE album once in 2 years since it has been published. Even though her voice imho appears a bit too ´clean´, she wrote great songs with some great lyrics: man tells woman that she´s "constant as a northern star" and wants to impress her with that. Woman replies: "constantly in the darkness, huh? If you want me, I´ll be in the bar!"

But here is a more recent tune from her big `Mingus´-album. Listen to the bass guitar from Jaco and Jonis unique way of playing the guitar


1 comment:

musicandwords said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.