Sunday, December 31, 2006

rocking christmas

Christmas is just around the corner - time for some real rock songs.

There is a band that rocks since several years: Monster Magnet. (I am not sure, but maybe they took the name from Frank Zappa who wrote a song called "the return of the son of monster magnet" on his "freak out" album). Listen to this piece of rock.


Chris Cornell is listed 2 times in this playlist, with two of his bands. He clearly is one of the most amazing voices from the last 10 years. Fist there is "Soundgarden". I listened to them about 10 years ago - in the german "Bundesbahn". You know there is a bord-radio that you can switch on - and it´s full of boaring music from boaring radio-stations. But on these day when I had to travel every day there must have been an anarchist being responsible for doing the playlist in the railways - because beside all of the musical shit there was broadcasted "black hole sun" every morning. But here is Audioslave.


The following band my kids do like very much - and I am very happy that they are not suporters of one of these boy-groups or girl-groups that are thrown into the radioshows or on telly every month and people are that mad that they start to buy their music. So here is "Creed".


Beside "Creed" they love "Limp Bizkit" and "Linkin Park". I have to admit that I don´t see any clear differences between these bands, so for me they sound quite similar - but it´s christmas and so this doesn´t count at the moment!


As the last of current rockers from my kid´s cd´s I have to announce "Nickelback". Again, this ain´t no music for eternity - but nice pieces of straight forward rock´n´roll.


I don´t know why but even the rockers have been more unique in the past - or is it just my age? Never mind here is "Led Zeppelin", one of the big shots from the 70´s that should be stored in every playlist. Jimmy Page is clearly one of the most amazing guitarists of the world I think. A live version of the "immigrant song" can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neH5feLFsG0&mode=related&search=


Led Zeppelin Immigrant Song

Blue Oyster Cult is an American rock band formed in the late 1960s. They are probably best known for their singles "don´t fear the reaper" and "Burnin' for You". In the early 70s the band decided to complement its stage show with a new cutting-edge entertainment technology: Lasers. This relatively new (for entertainment) technology offered the ability to enhance the songs with twirling, twisting shapes made from different colored light, a high-tech version of the old psychedelic oil and pigment projections done in the sixties. I remember very well the photographs from their light-shows in the music-mags of these days. Especially a series of maybe 8 or 10 pictures in the mid 7os in fantastic bright colours made a big impact on me! I stored them for at least 10 years as one of my very favourite pictures.



I don´t know how - but we´re again back in history. And thinking about rock of the 70s simply isn´t possible without talking about Thin Lizzy. Phil Lynott who died 1986 on an overdosis of heroin has been a fantastic singer and songwriter. Their biggest success must have been "whiskey in the jar" I think and I love this song since decades - it would be on the 100 records for the island. Here you can listen to another song which is maybe more characteristical for the band because of the playing of the guitarist Scott Gorham.




No comments: